There have been some cold winter nights here in Lousiana, and your home’s furnace has probably been working overtime to keep you and your family comfortable. It might be a good time to think about scheduling your annual heating system maintenance with Southern Air.
After all, with spring in sight but nights still chilled, a furnace breakdown is the last thing you want.
What could go wrong without maintenance?
Take your heating system’s filter, for instance. A relatively easy thing for the factory-certified technicians at Southern Air to check up and replace, if needed. However, not replacing your furnace’s filter could result in:
- Leaks and broken seals: Filters don’t just block dust from getting into your family’s air. They also prevent airborne particles from impacting the fan and heating coil. A bad filter could lead to permanent damage to your furnace.
- Corrosion and metal fatigue: A poor air filter means that air flow will be compromised, with creates pressure on your furnace to keep up as it tries to generate more and more air, to no effect.
- Increased pollutants and dust: After all, a filter is designed, in part, to siphon out contaminants and dust. A failure to change one could result in a less effective barrier—meaning more junk in your home’s air.
What do I get out of maintenance?
Let Southern Air look at your heating system and we’ll provide you with an honest assessment of any potential issues that could cause a potential breakdown. Some of the other benefits of scheduled maintenance with Southern Air include:
- Clean filters
- Long-term energy savings
- Longer system lifespan
- Less pollutants in your home’s air
- Proper calibration of parts
- Leak detection and sealing
If you’ve been convinced that it’s time for maintenance, let Southern Air take care of the work. You can schedule service with us online, or reach us by phone at (318) 524-7430.
When do I know if I need a new furnace?
Regular maintenance and repair work from Southern may extend the lifespan of your heating system by years, but even the best-maintained furnaces can’t last forever. At some point, you will have to replace your home’s furnace. If you’re debating purchasing a new heating system, consider asking yourself these four questions.
- How old is your system? Most HVAC systems live 15-20 years, and anything beyond that is pushing it. If your furnace has been serving your home for that long, you may want to consider a new furnace installation.
- How do the costs add up? If your furnace has officially entered old age, it may need more repairs and maintenance than a younger system. Once you’ve added it all up, you may find that a new installation would save you money compared to making multiple, regular repairs on an older system.
- How efficient is your system? An older furnace has two strikes against it. First, units manufactured decades ago are less energy efficient than those created now. Second, furnaces generally lose efficiency as they age. If you’re sick of sky-high energy bills, consider a new install.
- What does the future hold? A new system benefits you no matter what future you have in your home. If you plan on living in your home for the next twenty years, you’ll be able to enjoy an efficient and effective furnace for years to come. Or, if you plan on selling your home before that, consider that a new or newer furnace adds resale value to your home.
If you’re in the market for a new furnace, Southern Air can help! We’re north-central Lousiana’s heating and cooling experts, and we’ll work to match you and your home with the best possible furnace fit.